Thursday, November 24, 2016

Welcome to Wonderland

Welcome to Wonderland

For over 30 years, I have been watching film in all different mediums. Growing up my dad introduced me to a lot of films sure most of them were in color, but every once in awhile a black and white film may pop in or we would watch an old black and white TV show together. The odd thing was when a film that was just made was filmed in black and white. I could not understand why, but my dad explained to me that the makers of the film are trying to achieve a desired effect for the mood of the film.

That left me wondering are some films better to watch in black and white than color? If that is the case why? I started exploring other films that were shot in black and white, but could have been easily shot in color. I also started messing around with the color setting on the television to watch certain films in black and white.

Some films shot in color that I watched in black and white vs. the color the film was shot in did improve the film. For whatever reason, whether it hid the imperfections of inferior film used to shot the film in or added a layer to the film. One thing was for sure with some films you could see alot more shading and make out more of what was going on when watching the film in black and white vs color.

That is why I am starting this blog. I am going to watch color films from all different eras, but in black and white to see how the film has changed and if the film is better to watch in black and white.

No comments:

Post a Comment